Online Reading and Literacy
Cool Tool Award Judges: Please explore this page to learn more about Fuel Education's Big Universe digital reading platform for students in grades K–12.
Reading and Literacy
Thank you for considering Big Universe for a Cool Tool Award. Please enjoy the quick video above and our playbook and white paper to your right. Or, you can use the student and teacher demo logins below to see all that Big Universe has to offer for students and teachers!
Big Universe Demo
Administrator Username: edtech
Administrator Password: welcome
Teacher Username: teacher
Teacher Password: welcome
Group Username: edtech
Student Username: Student
Student Password: welcome
Group Username: edtech
High interest literature is critical to sparking a student’s love for reading, especially in the formative years. With Big Universe, you can access thousands of leveled eBooks and balanced literacy tools through our affordable, supplemental platform, which is available 24/7 on any device.
- Quality nonfiction and fiction leveled eBooks to support K–12 cross-curricular teaching and differentiated instruction
- Wide variety, including Spanish, nonfiction-fiction pairs, and Hi-Lo
- Approximately 66 percent of texts are for grades K–5; 22 percent are for grades 6–8; and 12 percent are for grades 9–12
Balanced literacy tools
- Engaging reading practice opportunities, such as read alouds, guided reading, shared reading, interactive writing, shared writing, writing workshops, and reading workshops
- Integrated tools include embedded assessments with instant results, a student recommendation engine, and analytics to demonstrate reading growth
Ability to access the platform 24/7 from anywhere on any device
- Responsive design to adapt to all sizes, from smartphones to tablets, laptops, and whiteboards
Additional features to engage readers
- Personal bookshelves for students to save and share their favorite texts
- Powerful search functions to help teachers identify texts by genre, grade level, Lexile®, and other filters
- Built-in lesson plans attached to individual books
- Robust management tools for importing SIS data, reporting, content filtering, and other functions
According to a 2014 study conducted by independent research firm SEG Measurement, fourth grade students who used Big Universe over a six-month period showed greater improvement in reading skills than comparable students who did not use the platform. Click here to see the study.
Read our Big Universe White Paper
Read How Teachers Inspire Reading