Online Reading and Literacy
Boost your balanced literacy program with our digital reading platform for students in grades K–12.
Reading and Literacy
High interest literature is critical to sparking a student’s love for reading, especially in the formative years. With Big Universe, you can access thousands of leveled eBooks and balanced literacy tools through our affordable, supplemental platform, which is available 24/7 on any smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other computer.
- Quality nonfiction and fiction leveled eBooks support K–12 cross-curricular teaching and differentiated instruction
- The Big Universe library includes a wide variety of topics—plus Spanish, nonfiction-fiction pairs, and Hi-Lo
- Approximately 66 percent of texts are for grades K–5; 22 percent are for grades 6–8; and 12 percent are for grades 9–12
- Personal bookshelves allow students to save their favorite eBooks
Resources offer engaging reading practice opportunities
- Powerful search functions help teachers identify eBooks by genre, grade level, Lexile, and other filters
- Our eBooks can be used to enhance your balance literacy programs with read alouds, guided reading, shared reading, and reading workshops
Ability to access the platform 24/7 from anywhere on any device
- Responsive design to adapt to all sizes, from smartphones to tablets, laptops, and whiteboards
Save time and improve accuracy with our powerful new Reading Fluency Tool
- Our Reading Fluency tool uses advanced speech recognition technology to listen to students as they read aloud, retell the story, and respond to questions—and then accurately and efficiently scores students on oral fluency, reading comprehension, and reading level.
- Benchmark assessments and checkpoint progress monitoring make it easy for teachers and students to track reading growth over time.
- The Big Universe platform includes robust management tools for importing SIS data, reporting, content filtering, and other functions
According to a 2014 study conducted by independent research firm SEG Measurement, fourth grade students who used Big Universe over a six-month period showed greater improvement in reading skills than comparable students who did not use the platform. Click here to see the study.